Juror: Igor V. Babailov
Mable House Arts Center
5239 Floyd Road, Mableton, GA
June 1 – July 6, 2015
Click a thumbnail image to see the full view and scroll through the images of each section. See Juror’s comments below.
Advisory Board Members
(Advisory Board works are not juried)
Juror’s Comments on the Awarded Pieces
1. “Pain of Innocence” by Portis K., immediately drew my attention by its craftsmanship and complexity, yet pleasant simplicity, of composition. The figure in it, the brave and harmonious colors in their various tonality, all are well balanced. The inclusion of hands beautifully adds to the whole portrait.
2. “Pete” by Garrett M., has the qualities of the Masters’s approach to drawing. The sensitive modeling of form, anatomical proportions, the ‘true to life’ feel of light, treatment of transparent shadows, all are present. Simply a beautiful drawing!
3. “Contemplation” by Costello C., is the romantic and softly painted portrait, which is well-drawn as well. Its attractive overall look with the ‘cool’ lights and ‘warm’ shadows, has just enough of fine and delicately treated details which do not overpower, but gently enhance the portrait. Well done! I wish though, I would see more entries by this artist.
Statement from the Juror
In judging of the works submitted for the exhibition in the category ‘Portraiture’, the following criteria has been used:
• Concept, originality and ‘mood’ of the portrait, all within the balance of traditional composition, with the goal to portray character and personality of the person
• Craftsmanship and command of drawing in the painting, with respect to anatomy and other required sciences in art, when it comes to human form.