(ABOVE: 2022 Fall Member’s Only Exhibition Awards. Above left—First Place, Everett Raymond Kinstler by Lora Hill; top right—Second Place, Jake by Jennifer Stallone Riddell; below right—Third Place, Corinne’s World by Mary Villon de Benveniste. )
Spring 2023 Open Juried Exhibition
Entry Deadline Extended to February 15th
Exhibition Dates: March 23 thru May 14, 2023
Location: The Ventulett Gallery
at Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church
805 Mount Vernon Hwy NW., Atlanta, GA 30327
Entry Deadline Extended: February 15, 2023
Notification: March 2, 2023
Delivery of Art: Monday, March 20, 2023, 10:30am – 1:30pm
Opening Reception: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Show runs: March 23 to May 14, 2023
Gallery hours: Monday – Thursday, 7:00am – 5:00pm; Friday, 7:00am – 3:00pm; Saturday, 8:00am – 1:00pm; Sunday, 7:00am – 7:00pm
Removal of Art: Monday, May 15, 2023, 10:30am – 1:30pm
We’re honored to announce that Mary Qian will be the Juror for this exhibition hosted by The Ventulett Gallery.
About the Juror
A Chicago-based fine art painter, Qian’s love of painting shines through in her figurative canvases, which present seemingly unposed subjects that somehow feel vibrantly alive.
“I feel my art is like an open diary. It records my life, and the life around me. My paintings are my preferred way to explain myself to the world. They speak of the things I don’t know how to put into words. Painting is a process and it connects me, my sitters and the viewers. It is a bridge between past and present. I want to paint people, because people intrigue me, especially during the process of communication in silence. I hope viewers will feel what I felt in the moments of painting. See what inspired me!”
Above: two award winning pieces by Mary Qian. Left, Michael and right, James.
Among the many prestigious awards Qian has received are:
2021 American Impressionist Society Second Place
2021 2nd Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase awards of excellence.
2018 2nd Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase awards of excellence.
2017 American Impressionist Society Second Place and may others
2016 – Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Silver Medal
2015 – Best of Chicago, Portraits
2015 – Oil Painters of America National Silver Medal
2015 – American Impressionist Society 3d Place
2014 – Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Silver Medal
2013 – Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Golden Medal
2013 – Oil Painters of America National Silver Medal
2012 – American Art Invitational Award of Excellence
2012 – American Art Invitational Purchase Awards
2011 – Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Silver Medal
2011 – American Impressionist Society Third Place
2011 – Figurative Merit Award Winner at Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art
2010 – Gold Medal Award, Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition
For more information on our juror, visit: http://maryqian.com
Read the Prospectus Below:
(Or download printable prospectus here.)
This Exhibition is open to all artists.
- Entry fee is $35 for Members and $45 for Non-Members.
- Exhibiting Members who are Juried level and above are permitted to display business cards and information during this show if space is provided. (For membership application, go to www.PortraitSocietyofAtlanta.org/membership-application)
This exhibition is electronic submission only.
- Entrants may submit up to three (3) entries.
- Entries must be original, 2-dimensional fine art portraiture.
- No prints, copies or student/class work are permitted.
- No photography or paintings-over-photographs.
- No nudes.
- Portraits must contain a human person, and at least an ear, eye or nose. Pets are acceptable only when accompanying a human.
- Entries must not have been exhibited in a PSA exhibition in the last two (2) years, or have ever won first place in any previous PSA exhibition, or been displayed in more than two (2) prior PSA exhibitions. There is no age limit on when works were created.
- Size, including frame, of two-dimensional work may not exceed 48’’ wide or 48’’ high.
- All paintings must be ready for hanging, with wire in place, in an appropriate gallery frame. Wiring should not extend above the top of the frame. No “clip-on” frames will be accepted. For matted works, we strongly encourage the use of white or off white top matting. No sawtooth hangers will be accepted.
- Accepted works need to include a 3”x 5” identification card on the back, stating: Title, Artist’s Name, Medium, Size, Email Address, Cell Phone number, and Price, if for sale. If the artwork is Not for Sale (NFS), then state this along with the declared value.
- Works submitted to any PSA show MUST be displayed for the duration of the show – No substitutes and no early removal. Please inform your client of the dates for which a borrowed work will be on view.
- Any artist who is unable to provide a painting that has been juried into a show will be penalized by not being able to enter the next exhibition.
- Finalists must make their own arrangements for delivery and pickup of their work to and from the Exhibition location. NO entries may be shipped to the venue. Special accommodation may be made for out of town PSA MEMBERS to ship artwork to a local PSA volunteer. All shipping expenses / insurance are the responsibility of the artist. Call the Exhibitions Chair Ruby Mason (number below) prior to entering the competition to confirm that this option is available for this exhibition.
PLEASE NOTE: The PSA exhibition committee reserves the right to decline artworks that do not fall within the field of portraiture, or are deemed inappropriate viewing for children. Entries that do not adhere to the guidelines will not be judged. At delivery, any work that varies from the submitted images will be disqualified.
DELIVERY AND DISPLAY: All works must be delivered and picked up, either by the artist or authorized representative, within stated times.
- Art delivery: Monday, March 20, 2023, 10:30am-1:30pm only. NO entries may be shipped to the venue. Out-of-town exhibitors may contact the Exhibition Chair Ruby Mason (at 404-725-3271) to see if special shipping arrangements are available.
- Art removal: Monday, May 15, 2023, 10:30am-1:30pm only.
PSA ACCREDITATION: This exhibition qualifies for PSA status credit. Only members’ works not previously juried into a PSA exhibit will receive accreditation points toward membership status.
INSURANCE: The artist is responsible for any insurance on their artwork during transit and exhibition. The PSA does not provide additional insurance and is not responsible for possible loss or damage to works. • Ventulett Gallery/Holy Innocents Episcopal Church does not provide additional insurance and is not responsible for possible loss or damage to works. • While utmost care is given to all entries, by entering, artists agree to not hold the PSA or Ventulett Gallery/Holy Innocents Episcopal Church liable for any loss or damage, before, during or after the exhibition.
SALES: Sales are allowed during this exhibition. Works do NOT have to be for sale. Your price, or NFS, must be included with your entry. • Ventulett Gallery shall retain 30% of any sales made from the exhibition. The artist will receive 70% of the sale price (set by the artist). The price submitted in the entry will be the price represented throughout the duration of the show. Changes are unacceptable.
RIGHTS: The PSA and The Ventulett Gallery reserve the right to photograph and retain images of the exhibit solely for educational, promotional, and documentation purposes in print or on the internet. By entering the exhibition, you agree to all conditions herein.
ENTRY FILE PREPARATION: Save and enter image file in JPG (JPEG) format.
- Size image so the largest dimension is no more than 2000 pixels, either side. Do NOT include your frame in image.
- Very Important: Name your image file with dashes as follows: LastName-FirstInitial-Title-of-Artwork.jpg Example: Sargent-J-Lady-Agnew.jpg
- Entries that are not properly named may be excluded from judging.
- Enter using the link below by February 10, 2023.
For EXHIBITION QUESTIONS: Ruby Mason at 404.725.3271 or email@example.com
For TECHNICAL PROBLEMS: Margaret Ann Garrett at 404.290.8086 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The entry deadline has passed.